We’ve all had one of those days. You lost your keys, spilled coffee on your pants, and you just remembered that lunch date...an hour too late. On a day like that, there is nothing more comforting than a steaming plate of fresh pasta.
We get it.
Our creamy pasta carbonara is the type of comfort food you’re looking for. The combination of almonds and nutritional yeast give it a rich, “cheesy” flavor. And the smoked tofu, which is a great source of plant-based protein, gives it that classic carbonara taste.
This is the perfect weeknight meal — as it comes together in about 20 minutes. And because it includes our Plant Protein mix (another great source of plant-based protein), this pasta carbonara is great for when you need some extra carbs.
SERVES 2 | VEGAN
2 tbsp Plant Protein mix
- 2 servings spaghetti
- 1 cup blanched almonds (or cashews)
- 1½ cups water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 package smoked tofu, diced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- Cook the spaghetti according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a high-speed blender, blend the Plant Protein mix, almonds, water, lemon juice and nutritional yeast, if using, until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet, then add the onions and garlic and sauté until translucent.
- Add the tofu and continue to cook until golden brown.
- Add the spaghetti to the skillet, then pour in the sauce, stirring to coat evenly.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon into bowls, garnish with fresh parsley, if using, and serve.
More Pasta Recipes