When I’m wanting a savory breakfast, the first thing I crave is breakfast tacos! The only problem is – it’s hard to find local tacos without eggs, meat and dairy.
So we decided to make a plant-based version of a Southwest favorite!
Instead of using eggs (which are high in cholesterol) we’ve used scrambled tofu – a great source of high-quality plant-based protein. The tofu gives these tacos a perfect, crumbly texture! And the addition of mushrooms, spinach and peppers take these tacos from so-so to delicioso!
Unlike traditional breakfast tacos, these have the added nutrition of superfoods from our Golden Mellow mix. This mix contains natural anti-inflammatories including turmeric, which gives this scramble its yellow color. You also get the benefits of ashwagandha, a powerful adaptogen that can reduce stress and anxiety.
Eat tacos and improve your health? That’s a no-brainer!
The best part about tacos is they’re completely customizable. Add avocado slices, your favorite salsa, cilantro – or anything else your heart desires!
Keep calm and (tofu) scramble on!
VEGAN BREAKFAST TACOS
SERVES 2 | VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE
- 1 tsp Golden Mellow mix
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup fresh spinach
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 16-oz organic extra-firm tofu, drained
- salt and pepper, to taste
- black salt, to taste (optional)
- 4-6 corn tortillas
- salsa for serving (optional)
- ¼ cup chives, chopped (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet, then add the onions and garlic and sauté until translucent.
- Add the bell peppers, mushrooms, spinach and paprika, stirring to coat.
- Continue to cook until the mushrooms start to soften.
- Add the tofu and using your spatula, break up into smaller pieces.
- Cook for another 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Turn off heat, add the Golden Mellow and stir to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, plus black salt, if using.
- Assemble your tacos, garnish with fresh chives and enjoy!
More Breakfast Recipes:Chocolate Oatmeal